While the cost of running a medical office steadily increases year after year, insurance reimbursements continue to decline. Healthcare providers strive to provide the best patient care possible while managing staff and all the expenses associated with running a busy practice. You diagnose, treat, and counsel; then, to keep up with regulatory requirements, you meticulously document every step. On top of your professional demands, you pay the bills and look for ways to maximize your earnings. So, how do you keep costs under control? Chances are you’re paying too much for your credit processing, so let’s start there.
Accepting credit card payments keeps transactions quick and your patients happy, but it’s highly likely that you are paying hundreds more than you expected for processing services. There are hundreds of companies out there, and unfortunately, many of them offer confusing tiered pricing models that may contain hidden fees. How do you choose the right credit card processing company for your medical office with so many available?
Choosing the Right Credit Card Processor for Your Medical Office
Let’s Start With Payline
Payline’s healthcare payment processing solutions offer low-cost, easy-to-understand pricing, a dedicated account manager, and special discounted medical solutions that work for your small office or multi-location healthcare practice. Billing doesn’t have to be complicated. We provide a suite of tools with robust accounting software that seamlessly integrates with your existing Electronic Health Records (EHR) or Electronic Medical Records (EMR.) Add an additional layer of security by encrypting your customer payment information with our secure HIPAA Compliant devices and software.
Payline Pricing for Medical Offices
Payline is committed to offering low-priced plans that include software that performs many ACH payments and a dedicated payments page. Easy plugins connect to your choice of Point-Of-Sale (POS) systems, creating a virtual terminal and reporting dashboard that syncs in real-time. Systems accommodate administrative hierarchy and permissions, unlimited users, and centralized billing and reporting capabilities. Card readers in multiple locations send data to a central computer for streamlined billing using Quickbooks.
Payline offers special interchange-plus pricing to medical offices. Interchange refers to the fee collected, per transaction, by the customer’s credit card bank (Visa, MasterCard, Amex, etc.) These rates are set by credit card companies and are standard in the payment processing industry. We pass on the wholesale cost from the card issuer and then add on a small disclosed fee. (0.2% plus 10¢ per transaction and $10 a month.) That’s it! No hidden charges or confusing tiered pricing plans.
Your first month with Payline is FREE. No risk, no upfront fees, and no cancelation fees. No hidden fees, no contract double-speak, and no surprises! Click here to calculate what you’ll pay with our medical solutions payment calculator.
Processor Markup vs. Interchange
Processor Markup: Many merchants don’t realize they can negotiate the fees charged on their credit cards. Credit card processors use different variables to determine their markups. For example, some pricing models are based on itemized interchange fees, while others are based on the highest rate of the credit cards bundled in a category. Some also vary according to the type of transaction that is made. Some providers consider American Express charges to be non-standard and therefore charge a higher markup. Other providers treat all transactions as standard, so they apply the same markup to every purchase.
Here are the four popular methods of pricing used currently:
- Interchange-plus pricing: With this pricing model, the processor earns a fixed percentage on top of the interchange rates set by individual credit card companies. This means that you will pay the same fee regardless of the type of card you accept or how you process it (e-commerce, card-not-present, swiping, etc.)
- Subscription or membership: This is a relatively new pricing model. There’s a small fee per transaction, and any additional markups are charged as a flat monthly subscription fee.
- Tiered: The pricing model is also known as bucket or bundle pricing because the processor categorizes the fees into three-tier pricing, i.e., qualified, mid-qualified, and non-qualified. While tiered pricing is the most common in the industry, it often draws criticism because of resulting non-disclosed fees.
- Flat rate: Unlike tiered pricing, all transactions in the flat-rate model have the same percentage and transaction fee. This can result in high transaction fees but doesn’t require a monthly fee.
Interchange Plus: This pricing model is slightly more complicated but is far more transparent and cost-effective. Interchange Plus, used by Payline, is a pricing model where the payment provider will only take a previously disclosed markup on top of Interchange & Assessment fees. These fees are set by individual card providers like Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
Tools and Integrations
Payline offers tools and integrations to take care of all your medical office credit card processing needs:
- Complete POS Systems
- Secure and HIPAA Compliant
- Simple, easy-to-understand, transparent pricing with no long-term contracts
- A dedicated account manager
- Seamless Integration with your existing systems
- Your Software, Our Hardware
- A virtual terminal and reporting dashboard that syncs with multiple locations in real-time.
- A retail POS system connects your services and schedule on the frontend, your accounting on the backend, with a sophisticated suite of tools.
- From startup to enterprise, our devices allow you to own your client experience while taking care of the compliance, updates, and support.
Customer Support for Medical Offices
Patient loyalty is earned. A provider’s promise is only truly fulfilled when patients can be sure that they will receive a level of care that exceeds their expectations and that their highly personal health data will remain safe and HIPAA-compliant. Payline is the right partner that will provide you with the best options for online credit card processing with the latest technology, iron-clad security, and professional customer support.
Regardless of which company you select to be your credit card processing provider, your ultimate experience will depend on the relationship you have with your dedicated account representative. You want a partner who listens and understands healthcare and your specific office’s needs. You need them to be accessible. No one wants to be caught in some endless call center loop. Payline pairs you with a dedicated customer service agent who will take the time to explain the terms and conditions of your contract carefully. No one likes surprises when they open that monthly bill.
With guaranteed transparent pricing and a dedicated customer representative, Payline customers will know exactly what to expect when it comes to costs. Your payment expert will stay with you through equipment set up and conduct training for you and your staff. Talk to a payment expert now for detailed information about services, benefits, and terms.
Challenges the Client Presented to Payline:
NACS needed a reliable, easy-to-use hardware solution for each of their 35 skilled nursing facility locations.
- Ten of their locations didn’t accept credit cards because they did not want to ask for a patient’s personal information (e.g., Social Security Number and Date Of Birth).
- They were losing revenue because of the locations that did not accept card payments.
- Wanted more competitive pricing for payment processing
- Every location could apply under the parent company, so no personal information was required.
- Payline could provide easy reporting all on a single, easy-to-navigate dashboard. This would display all transactions in one place, making it extremely easy to toggle between locations, view comprehensive financial reports, or view specific location reports.
- Payline could save them money by accepting more significant transactions ($10,000 or more) via ACH, making it easier to avoid risks and gave them a big boost for their overall revenue.
- Payline would also provide FREE hardware-valued at $16,000- with a three-year contract.
Read the entire case study for more details regarding the client’s needs, selection process, and Payline’s customized solutions. The bottom line is if you need medical office credit card processing, Payline is the choice.